Sunday 12 January 2014

MY TRIBE IS NOT KENYAN

   

For all I care Kenya is a country and Kenyan is a nationality. Is it my fault that I have a tribe to associate with? Is it my fault that my tribe sets me apart from the rest? Is it my fault that I get pierced off when someone decides to baptise me with a tribe I know nothing of and want no associations to?
Well I guess in my honest opinion it's not my fault and neither is it yours.

Tell you what; love it or hate it. I was born in a particular tribe and that does not make an ambassador of tribalism. It only makes me proud to know that I have roots and a deep rich culture that sets me apart with ease. I don't care if there's a certain stereotype doing rounds concerning my tribe. Which tribe doesn't go through stereotyping?  Does it mean those things define us? Maybe they do maybe they don't! But at the end of the day who cares? You were born there. Maybe not by choice but neither was it by accident.

I dread the day when we will wake up as a nation and realize we no longer have diverse tribes and rich cultures. When our native lingua will be replaced by Western languages and we will no longer name our children  tribal names; because those names will act as a sell out or they are just plain shady for our liking.

If you're language is Kenyan how come you take offence when someone trash talks your tribe? Let's all cut back on the pretence shall we? When I walk past someone's door and there's a tag written 'don't ask me my tribe... My tribe is Kenyan' and yet everything from their conversations to their music is held in their native language it makes me wonder. What's the point?

Thus I am hoisting my tribal flag so high and I refuse to be part of that political bandwagon that has led us to believe that our tribes are the root cause of all evil in our country Kenya. I believe our tribes make us Kenyans and their uniqueness give us a sense of belonging. Thus if you feel the need to abandon your tribe in pretence of you been 'Kenyan the tribe' and not the nationality  feel free to go and kick rocks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment